Thursday, April 23, 2009

Branded: GAP



I don't think I've bought anything from the GAP in years because I usually shop, um, elsewhere. But I was there recently with a few friends. Nothing really caught my eye, with the exception of the bold, black store fonts they've used which bluntly resembled a competitor's. The fabric of their basic tees felt like paper, and the designs looked very tired. Nothing new, nothing different.

I can see myself shopping at the GAP for nostalgic reasons. I couldn't afford it growing up. I felt that people who made a decent living bought their basics and office clothes there. And when I could finally afford decent clothes, shopping at the GAP gave me a sense of accomplishment--I could finally afford it! Yay! Fast forward several years later, and newer companies selling the same items at competitive prices or offering a different twist on things, I still wonder about the GAP sometimes. The whole store environment looks almost uninspired...much like their stock prices.

It's hard though. If you're a designer for a very very large company, there are many factors to consider: cost, an unpredictable market, competition, red tape, etc...And many times, the designs get whittled down after taking these things into consideration and it can be frustrating, especially if the product doesn't sell well.

But then again, you see some of their competitors faring well if not better, offering similar things.

One thing I liked a couple or so years ago, around early '07, was this bold blue polka dot dress. I LOVED it. It was a bit Boden-ish. I rushed to the store in downtown to try to get one even though everyone and their mother owned one, but they were sold out. No biggie.



What I like about GAP is that they support some good causes, and every once in a while, they design things that are actually quite nice and new. What I don't like about it is that despite the fact that most of their clothing is imported and doesn't always feel "quality", they're still priced rather high. I say "high" considering that a brand such as American Apparel is able to sell their clothes at almost similar prices, yet their goods are made in the USA. So I take these things into consideration when I buy brand new stuff: should I purchase a 20 dollar imported shirt or a 20 dollar made in the USA shirt of the same design?

Brands under GAP Inc: Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, Athleta

Recent News:
3 Gap Insiders Sell 2.25M Co Shrs >GPS
Gap Adds Athleta to Site
Gap employees celebrate Earth Week

Some competitors:
American Apparel
American Eagle
Abercrombie & Fitch
Aeropostale
Target
J. Crew
H&M
Zara

No comments:

Post a Comment